Ensuring your employees have regular training is important for the profitability and productivity within the company so it should never be taken for granted.
Giving your employees regular training will help with other things as well:
- It will help to improve confidence and performance. When the staff know they can do their jobs properly it will give them reassurance and boost their motivation so they can achieve their goals and reach their level of productivity and competency that they may not have been able to reach beforehand. Giving them the opportunity to develop on their foundational employability skills will help the overall morale of the team to increase.
- It will help to save money. Well trained employees will make less mistakes and won’t need as much supervision. This means they are not spending too much time problem solving as they already know exactly what they need to do. So, work will be getting done quicker therefore getting you closer to profits.
- You will notice an increase in the production of your workplace and those who work in it. Research shows that for every dollar that is invested in the training of the employees can bring in as much as 30% gain in productivity or return on investment over a three-year period. This can see some companies have a cut of costs by $3 billion and an increase of profits by 47%.
The main topics of employee training:
Communication: With an increase of diversity in the workplace we are seeing a bigger variety of customs and languages.
Customer service: The more competition that is in the global marketplace means it is important that all staff understand and meet the needs of their customers and know how to deal with them in the correct manner. Sometimes having your staff complete training in a certificate 3 in hospitality can give them some insight into excellent customer service skills.
Computer skills: Having computer skills is now essential for conducting office tasks and administrative work.
Diversity: Training in diversity includes explanations on how people have different views and techniques that can add value to diversity.
Human relations: The increased stresses of the workplace today can include conflict and misunderstandings. It is important to train staff to get along within the workplace.
Ethics: The society today has a bigger expectation about the corporate social responsibilities. The now diverse workplace brings in a variety of morals and values to the workplace.
Safety: safety training is important when you are working with heavy equipment, repetitive activities and hazardous chemicals so it is important to know how to handle these and the right protective equipment that you need to keep yourself and others safe.
Quality initiatives: Initiatives like quality management, benchmarking and quality circles require training about guidelines, standards of quality and quality concepts
Sexual harassment: Make staff aware of the policies surrounding sexual harassment and what inappropriate behaviours are and what do you do about it?
What are the benefits from regular employee training?
There are many benefits that not only the staff can learn from but also the company owners to.
- Increased employee motivation
- Increase morale among employees
- Increased job satisfaction
- Increased capacity to take on new methods and technologies
- Increase efficiencies in processes that result in financial gain
- Increased innovation in products and strategies
- Reduced employee turnover
- Enhanced company image
- Reduction of employees only staying a short time
- Less days off
- Staff that have more motivation to do better at their job
There are several reasons to ensure your staff are getting frequent training which isn’t just for your company but for the good of the staff members also so they can have a better working life that is safer, more open and more motivated.